October 27, 2013


Yes, I'm getting ready for the Nov. 16-17 WillowAK Pottery Open House.  Unloaded a bisque kiln tonight and have about three kiln loads of glazing and glaze firing ahead. Last week a couple friends came by and we made some ornaments/jewelry. It was a fun afternoon helping these creative ladies play with clay for awhile. Their pieces will be glazed and fired again; here's how they are looking now:     

   

The rains continue in Willow tonight. Imagine if all this rainfall had been snowfall instead! We'd have some happy plow service owners, snowmobile fans, skiers, and more.  But it's not snow.  It continues to fall from the sky, saturate the ground, and sit. I'm not hearing many praiseworthy comments about it except from those who are not yet ready for the cold of winter and have no plans to be heading Outside. Some have already left for the winter and others are busy preparing to do so. Our plan is to enjoy a beautiful winter right here.  Keith serviced his tractor and put on the snow blower today, so I think he's ready; I prefer to look at fresh, white snow in the woods rather than at wet, soggy leaves, so I, too, am ready for winter to arrive.   Come on down, Snow!  It's your turn. 

A glazing day tomorrow, regardless of the weather. Love my cozy studio and there are lots of porcelain pieces awaiting embellishment and a glossy coat.  Glazing can be very engaging, even fun -- or tedious and stressful if done under pressure. I do want the former, not the latter.  My mother's birthday was on October 28, so she'll be on my mind as I listen to good music and prepare pieces with personality for the upcoming open house.  Wish she could be by my side, but trust she'll be watching and encouraging from above.  If I get on the wrong track, she may gently redirect, or nudge my dad to do so.  I miss them both and wish I'd been more expressive of my appreciation for them while they were still in this world. The busyness of life (yes, I mean busyness, not business) does not always serve us well. Retirement, for me, allows far more reflective time -- which I value.

Enjoy your week -- wherever you are and whatever you are doing.