April 17, 2014

On last check, kiln temp was 1650 degrees F, so I have time to blog a bit before it hits the target bisque temp of 1828.  Besides, when someone asks if I'm taking a break from pottery, it's pretty clear that it's been too long since I last posted.

The big studio news is the arrival of a Shimpo slab roller.  It will make clay slabs that are very thin to slabs that are 3" thick, making all kinds of new possibilities in the type of work I'm doing.  Pretty exciting!

Mother's Day is coming soon and gift certificates are ready.  Just give me a call to arrange for my sending one to someone local you think would like to come by and pick out a piece of pottery, and I'll take care of it from there.   If you're the "someone," let your family know about the gift certificates and suggest they give me a call at 907-360-3696.

Rather than ramble, I'm going to post photos, provide captions for them, and hope the combination conveys what's going on with WillowAK Pottery.

Yarn bowls continue to be popular with knitters and crocheters.

The 30"x50" slab roller fits in well! Moved the settee to the deck to make room.

Glazed work on the front hall display rack. Sorry for all the shadows!

View from studio tonight. Peak of McKinley shows in center of photo. Ice thawing!

Mugs, too, continue to be popular.  Each is unique. Lots from which to select.

Kiln is doing its 25th firing tonight. So far, so good.

About 70 pieces stacked on the shelves, all awaiting glazing.

Mugs, mugs, and more mugs. People bond with their mugs.

Applied an applique to this one, with a matching bottom. Quilting influence?

Reclaiming clay scraps -- mixing, drying, then wedging.

This beauty was designed and created by friend Melinda!

I'm happy with the new stamp being used on all my pieces these days.

Here's the matching bottom to the mug shown above. What do you think?

25# bags of dry glaze mix awaiting mixing. Beautiful colors outside tonight.

Loving the new wall hanging that greets us each morning!

A variety of cutouts in this large platter. Soak them in water, put them in your brown sugar, and it stays soft.

Tonight's view as I walked the deck to the studio.  Beautiful.


I'm knitting and felting clogs these days. 100% Icelandic wool -- cushy, comfy, and warm.

More berry bowls and colanders, attractive and convenient for those quick rinses.



 

So, no, I'm not really taking a break from pottery, although it's been awhile since I've provided new images and an update. Admittedly, there's been lots of knitting going on here, too, and the felted clogs are a nice change in needle size from the #1 needles I use when making wool socks.  Keeping the hands busy between throwing clay and knitting seems to be a good thing.  So is Aleve!

Our March and first half of April have been flooded with sunshine.  I'm really liking these months. The holiday hustle and severe weather conditions are over,  and the responsibilities of summer have not yet begun.  Had the good fortune of attending a great ceramics workshop at UAA a couple weeks ago, and look forward to another one in May. Have signed up for some painting workshops, too.  Am looking forward to summer company from Duluth, good times with friends and family, and maybe a little gardening if the mosquitoes don't change my mind. 

Yes, there will be a summer WillowAK Open Studio weekend.   Have promised three grandsons that it will be at a time when they are all available to be workers, so we're trying to find such a weekend.  It's looking like June 28 and 29th -- the last weekend of the month.  I'll post here if there is a change.  Hope that's a good time for you, too, but remember you're always welcome to give me a call and arrange to come by -- alone, or with guests/friends.

WillowAK Pottery pieces are available at Sourdough Mercantile at the Ted Steven's International Airport, at All I Saw Cookware and Town Square Art Gallery in Wasilla,  at The Tangled Skein in Eagle River, at Non-Essentials in Palmer, at Willow Creek Studio in Willow, and in my studio on Shirley Lake.

Perfect timing. The kiln firing is complete. It took 12 hours and 47 minutes, the vent has been turned off, and I can go to bed.  Thanks for your interest and for reading to the end of this posting.  Let me know if you have any requests or questions. 

Happy Spring to All!  Sorry some of you continue to have winter weather!  As my photos show, we probably won't be hiding eggs outdoors this weekend in Willow, but the snow blower is off the John Deere and pussy willows are appearing. Promising signs!
 ~ Carol