May 26, 2014

Typically, I shoot photos of new work out of the kiln,  and sometimes include shots of work yet to be glazed.  These serve, primarily, as reference images for me down the line, but also give others an idea of what I'm working on.   A wrinkled, bright blue flannel sheet is probably not the best background, but it's such a soft and washable surface to set work on in the studio.  Here's what I shot today:

Fluted bowls. How's that for color? Cheerful!

 Trays with texture...John's fish for sushi

Leaf tray hand built using slab of porcelain

Black,white, gray, with red accent on large, shallow bowl and
matching small bowl



Coasters, critters, and conifer

Colander for the cooks -- sage and cadet blue
The lace imprint on the coaster in the top, left corner is actually from the material used in my wedding veil -- nearly 50 years ago.  You'll be seeing more of that in my work. Other coasters are fish, flower, and leaf imprints.
Tumblers with white lining

Swimming salmon...knife rests when on their sides?

Simple serving bowl with leaf design

Some of the pieces to be glazed this week

Berry bowl for rinsing and a bowl from which to eat.

Matching serving bowls -- large and medium
Leaves, leaves, and more leaves. You'll see a lot of them on my work. I'm surrounded by them every day and love it!
Hmmm...how should these be glazed?

Fluted/ruffled/scalloped with a sage celedon glaze









In addition to what you see on the island here, there are two shelves of small bowls, plates, and other pieces that have been bisque fired; they are awaiting glaze and their final firing.











The steel blue color is new. I'm working on finding the right accent to use with it.





This combination of black and nutmeg has been popular with those who appreciate earth tones.



The small trays were made with press molds I made years ago in one of many UAA ceramics classes. Fun to be using them again.


That's it for tonight. If we're lucky, it will RAIN during the night and all day tomorrow.  Alaska needs a good soaking and then the wonderful sunshine we've enjoyed for over two months can return.

If you're a Facebook user, please consider following the WillowAK Pottery page and even "Like" it if you do.  Based on the stats I receive, what I post there is not getting to folks, so I'm promoting some action and interaction, even though I don't like asking to be "Liked." How embarrassing -- but maybe if you Like, Comment,  and/or Share, the postings will show up in the future.  Think that's how it works.  This is not in my comfort zone -- can you tell?
www.facebook.com/WillowAK.Pottery

Thanks.