New Year...New Decisions...Input?



Making pottery is something I enjoy. My studio is a happy place to be. Even at -30 degrees, as it has reached this week, the studio is a warm, inviting, and wonderfully creative space. The view is superb, the equipment excellent,  and I have full control over whether to appreciate the peace and quiet of the woods, follow news on the TV, or listen to music or an audiobook. Fine options. My choice. Yes, different tasks, different thoughts and feelings, different weather...all are among the many variables that determine what I choose to do when creating in my lakeside studio. But, there are decisions to be made.  Decisions are constantly necessary when making work, and decisions should also be made about marketing.

Tonight, I'm thinking about the marketing. Several of the gift shops/galleries I have sold to in recent years have, sadly, closed their doors. Some were my best wholesale customers. Do I want to establish new relationships with new customers, or is it time to do more with online sales and shipping? Time to take my work to events?

Being the tactile person that I am, I like when customers see, in person, something they love, want, and decide to purchase. That makes for strong customer satisfaction and no hassle. Shipping knit pieces would be easy and relatively inexpensive. Shipping pottery, however, involves extensive packing and is costly. Then, what if the customer finds the product to be different from what he or she envisioned from looking at a photo? Hassle. That's not how I want to spend my time. Some potters pack their work to fairs, markets, bazaars, craft shows, etc. That, too, has its challenges, although it does allow for direct contact with buyers and new exposure to potential customers, which I do like.

So, I'm thinking about options. What I do now is enjoyable and I intend to keep it that way. I meet interesting people, encourage them to come by the studio to see pieces in person, and have had only one occurrence in the many years of selling where someone changed her mind about wanting a piece.  The solution was easy - - return it, receive a refund, move on.

I'm leaning toward doing more of what I've been doing -- encouraging studio visits and developing new relationships to sell wholesale. Think I may have just talked myself into that, knowing if someone asks me to mail something to them, I can and will; that if some event comes along that would be good exposure, I can participate; and when I decide to hang a "gone fishing sign" that's fine, too. How nice to be at the point in my life to have such great options! Enjoy making and giving ... be relaxed about the marketing ... and avoid hassle can be my priorities.

What do you think this studio potter should be considering when it comes to marketing?  I'm listening and welcome messages to willowakpottery@gmail.com  Or, post a comment, below.  Am I missing something important?  Have you suggestions or ideas about marketing?

Thanks,
Carol