Really....It's October?

The lawn never needed watering over the summer. Not once. We never ate a meal outdoors on the deck.   Not once. Unfired pottery sat on shelves for weeks to air dry, but it did not totally dry. My most recent bisque firing had seven hours of preheat, but it wasn't enough for the few pieces I heard "pop"from within the kiln as the temperature rose. Those, unfortunately were special orders and I owe a few folks apologies. Will recreate what I heard "pop." Thankfully, this is a pretty laid-back pottery and people have been wonderfully patient and understanding. Thanks, if you are one of those people still awaiting a finished piece you requested long ago. 

I haven't fired myself yet, and will get back in the studio groove now that fall is here and holidays are not far off.  In fact, the Willow Holiday Art Tour date has been set for November 18. You'll be hearing and seeing more about that as the date approaches. Mark your calendar if that helps you save the date.

I did do some experimenting with a dark stoneware and a white stoneware over the summer. Although fun to try something different, my studio is well set up for porcelain work, and I prefer managing just one clay body of choice, which is porcelain. So, going forward, that's what I'll be using again.

The bisque pieces below are ready to glaze, so a new round of decisions begins.  Underglaze?  Silkscreen?  Oxides? Wax? Layering? Trailing?  What end result is desired and what is most likely to make it happen?  Time to stir the glazes and begin. After they are glaze fired, I'll post the results on this blog.

It will be fun to see how my studio glazes will look on these new-to-me clay bodies. Always learning when it comes to clay and glazes. If you want the exact color and identical shape on multiple pieces, my studio is not the place for you. If you like unique pieces, sometimes whimsical and always useful in some way, a visit to the studio would be of interest, I think.  These are the new pieces, bisque fired and soon to be glazed and fired again. 

Stamped, square plates in light and dark stoneware clay.


Not meant to happen!!  Oops!!!

These mountains were not intended.

Looks fine...but was damaged during bisque firing

Yes, lots to glaze. Starting this week.

Always new mugs; different designs, sizes, and handles.

Fox, moose, and trees are back.

Decisions to make...hmmmm.

A variety of forms and clay bodies makes for fun pieces.

Sponge holders, serving bowls, mushrooms, and more.

Fun Fish for the wall...and a large wood-grain platter.

Wood-grain platters are useful, versatile, and popular.

Stamped, rectangular plates...real-life fish imprint on two.

That is it for now. Thanks for looking.  
If you like something and want to know more,
 do get in touch.  
~ Carol